Blimey, don’t these weeks fly by at the moment eh! But then again, they probably always have done and it might just the fact that I have too much time on my hands at the moment to actually think about it…? Yeah I reckon that’s it haha. Anyway, I hope you’re all doing okay still? I don’t know about you but I can’t get my head around the fact that by the time we’re due out of this lockdown (as it stands at March 8th currently) it’ll be nearly a year since lockdown round 1.0, how crazyyyyyy is that? Anyway, that’s all I’ll say for now about that particular virus (that might end up being a huge lie there…), as I think we all hear enough about it don’t we…
So this week I wanted to talk about the good ol’ topic of – Self love! As I think we can all agree that the last year (trying really hard here not to break my promise above about talking about a certain something…) has hopefully taught each and every one of us that we all need to sometimes take some time out for ourselves and put our health first (more than we maybe did before), as at the end of the day, our bodies and minds ain’t going anywhere! If this isn’t the case for you, then please definitely keep reading haha…
Now I don’t just want to talk about putting on a face mask (the skincare versions, not the others we’re all currently acclimatised to…) and some cucumber over your eyes (does anyone actually still do that haha?), I’m talking more about how we can look after ourselves in general, so to speak. Now if you’d have said to me a couple of years ago; how do you look after your body? My answer probably would have been something along the lines of: “I drink water and occasionally go for a walk” or simply “I don’t really know, I just get a good nights sleep? Does that count?”. All of the above I should point out, are all in fact still very important yes, but there was a still a lot I could personally have improved on.
Before I delve too deeply into this post, I want to point out that if you’re a busy parent, busy worker etc. I really, really don’t blame you for slouching on the sofa in the evenings with a glass of Merlot watching Bridgerton, because THAT is in fact (in my eyes) self love too! It doesn’t always have to be hours of yoga or a 10k run that counts, it is simply, anything that makes you happy! And that I think is what a lot of us forget sometimes and quite frankly, I just wanted to remind you of that!
I know, I know, it sounds like I’m back to sounding all ‘inspirational’ again but I wanted to write this one this week as a reminder to myself really too. As I can assure you I have been far from ‘feeling inspirational’ this week and for no particular reason at all really. There is no lie in the fact that this is HARD currently (fully aware I’m nearly breaking my promise above again…) but I’ve been trying to remind myself that it will pass and I will go back to having a ‘purpose’ again, because I don’t know about anyone else, but that’s the hardest bit for me. (As an insight, I’m self employed as a Beauty therapist now, so I’m currently doing pretty much sod all, yay..!) but then I remind myself; when are we ever going to get this much time off work ever again? Well we might at some point in the future for things like parenting duties, illness (hopefully not) or retirement etc. just hopefully not under these circumstances haha… But lets not let me be a debbie downer toooo much here because staying safe at the moment is our biggest priority right? Soooo lets talk about the things we can do to help ourselves now and give ourselves some love, because after all…
“You can’t pour from an empty cup”
Nooo you can’t! So to help you ‘refill that cup’ so to speak, here’s some possibly, slightly different ideas to spruce up your ‘self love ritual’ (if you want to call it that haha)…
- Make a fancy lunch… This one may seem like a silly point really, BUT if you’re anything like me at the moment (or anytime really), putting a bit more effort into lunch rather than reaching for the crisps or the Deliveroo app, can make you feel sooo much better! Okay, a cheeky takeaway is sometimes needed (actually that counts as another form of self care me thinks!) but making yourself make something nice (and healthy if you’re feeling that little bit more fancy pants) can make your day just that little bit better and can give you a great sense of ‘that wasn’t that hard really was it?’. Ive also just downloaded the Deliciously Ella app (soz meat eaters) and that’s really great too for inspiration! (You do have to pay 99p a month though as a heads up).
- Look through old photos… Now I am a sucker for this! There’s nothing quite like looking back through the photos on your phone from a good few years ago is there? (Especially holiday ones) If you’re stuck for something to do or scrolling through Instagram aimlessly, go to your photos and scroll to the top (of course only if you want to haha), because I’m sure it will put a smile on your face and bring back some great memories! (Hopefully you haven’t just got a new phone and no longer have any photos mind you haha…)
- Book that doctors appointment you’ve been putting off… Again a bit of a weird one here, but I wanted to add it in as a bit of a reminder so to speak. If you’re anything like me (a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes…), if there’s anything at all you’re worried about, just get it checked out for peace of mind! Doctors can be quite scary (and at times you might even feel like you’re wasting their time), but I’m sure you’re really not. Just get it booked for your own peace of mind, its what they’re there for after all. I know it’s more self maintenance this one, but albeit just as important!
- Treat yourself now and again… Hopefully this an obvious one here, but just do it! It doesn’t have to be a 500 pound watch, it could just simply be a bar of Cadbury’s from the corner shop. Obviously don’t turn it into a unhealthy habit, but sometimes you just have to do something nice for your own sanity! Just please don’t come running back saying I made you do it haha…
- Clean something… Again potentially a bit of a weird one here, but its amazing what a bit of a clean/tidy can do for your mind! I think it must be that sense of achievement at the end? It’s so satisfying isn’t it! The other day I completely deep cleaned my bedroom and even hoovered my mattress (I know, it’s got to that point of lockdown…), but it was astonishing how nice it felt afterwards. Now I’m not saying you have to go that far, but if you’re feeling a bit naff, go and crack out that duster!
- Stretch those legs… Whether it be; literally stretching those legs or going for a quick walk/run around the block, either or, get that bod moving! Then once you’re done, you can sit in your PJ’s in front of the TV with your glass of merlot…😉
So there we have it! In addition to all of those, don’t underestimate the power of a good face mask, bath and book reading etc. sesh though, as they all help too, I just wanted to point out the things that you might not necessarily think of when someone mentions the words: self care/love. Hopefully that’s given you a little bit of inspiration there (even if it is to go and pour a glass of something 😉) and reminded you to look after that body and mind of yours, as its not going anywhere any time soon!
As always, take care all, stay safe and see you next Friday (and you never know, next weeks post might actually be about something beauty based again, we’ll see haha…)
Have a great weekend!
Lots of love, Ella x