How is everyone doing with good ol’ lockdown 2.0? It’s getting a bit boring now isn’t it… Now, I am fully aware that once again this isn’t a beauty related post (I need to be careful here that the corona posts don’t overtake the beauty posts on here, oopsy haha…), but quite frankly I felt one of these were needed (again)! Now you may have noticed that my posts have been a bit sporadic on here as of lately (apologies! I am working on it…) and for those that follow me, may know that I even published a half written post the other day too (oops…again!), which I will finish at some point, promise! But that basically says it all doesn’t it? So I feel the best way to sum all of this up is with the saying; “If you want something done, ask a busy person” and I personally feel this sums up lockdown to. a. T! In an ironic kind of way. For me anyway (and I’m sure many, many other people feel the same way), as at the moment I am farrrrrr from busy! So I just wanted to say, you are not alone and it’s okay to feel very lazy/unmotivated/bored (but have no intention of changing that, if you get me?) etc… I am with you on that one!
Now the last thing I want to do here, is be all doom and gloom. BUT can I just say and there is no lie in saying that Lockdown 2.0, you are a bit shit (and very boing). To put it bluntly. The dark evenings, colder days and the uncertainty of what’s going to happen at Christmas. Add all that together and you just want it to be December the 31st at 23:59 (to be exact…), to say “bottoms up” and wave goodbye to 2020 don’t you? But lets not wish the time away here… On a serious note though, please tell me I’m not the only one feeling like this? (Feel free to talk to me in the comments below!) Because lockdown 1 (to me) seemed slightly more interesting didn’t it? Maybe just me having ‘a moment’, but I’m pretty sure I’m not going mad?
On a positive note- I don’t know about you, but the vaccine news is blooming great isn’t it? Lets just keep everything crossed that we can return to some kind of ‘normal’ soon, as I don’t know about you, but I’ve never wanted to put on a pair of heels (and I’m not even very good in heels, so that says A LOT haha!) and go and have a dance in some sticky floored, crowded nightclub (although when put like that, it does lose it’s appeal slightly doesn’t it..) with the best people in my life! We will get there, as I for one, am making sure that I do not loose sight of that light at the end of the tunnel! I hope you aren’t either.
Again to keep things positive; I thought I’d do something similar to my last post (in my last- ‘I need to have a rant’ moment) which was called ‘My isolation, part 2’. In that post I rambled on a bit at first (much like this one) and then came up with some things that I had learnt/discovered about life/myself etc. Now I know, that statement sounds very much makes me sound like I’ve just been on a ‘solo retreat in Asia to find yourself’ kind of thing, but I can in fact assure you (and surprise, surprise) I haven’t. But you know as silly as it may sound sometimes, a little bit of reflection never hurt anyone! And in a year like this, I can 100% (I know this is a bold statement) assure you that you will most probably have learnt a hell of a lot more than you may initially think! So here’s mine…
- In lockdown no matter how hard you try, you simply cannot have a sensible sleeping pattern. Fact. Now I know this is a classic ‘first world problem’ type situation, but why on earth is it so hard to go to bed before midnight? It can’t just be me can it haha? Oh well, I guess one day I’ll look back and be envious of this. Maybe…
- It is also impossible to have good posture whilst lounging about at home. Sad, but true and my back and neck now really hates me, but you know, life goes on… I have to admit though (and if you haven’t heard of these, you really need to) investing in a acupuncture mat is honestly one of the best 20 quid’s I’ve spent this year! Now for those that don‘t know; acupuncture mats are padded mats with hundreds on blunt’ish spikes on top of them (I know it sounds torturous, but stick with me…) which you lay on and it helps to ease muscle tension in the back and neck. Like I have said above, it sounds horrible but once you get over the initial ‘ouch’, it’s surprisingly very, very relaxing! I love using mine before bed (and I actually may or may not have fallen asleep on it a couple of times before), also I swear it makes me sleep better! Amazon have plenty to choose from if you are interested.
- Now if you’d have told me I’d be writing this, this time last year I probably would’ve laughed in your face, BUT… Getting lost in a book really can be the nicest thing! Now, I’m a renowned, avid lover of a good old romcom film and now as it turns out; books are just as good (you just have to concentrate more…). Some of my personal favourites to date are: ‘The flat share’ by Beth O’Leary (this was my absolute fave!), ‘Our stop’ by Laura Jane Williams (a little bit far fetched and predictable, but still really lovely), ‘The switch’ by Beth O’Leary and ‘If I never met you’ by Mhairi McFarlane (now I know this is super sad, but I may have stayed up until 4am to finish this, oops…). Moral of the story here is, if you’re not a reader, try it! You might just surprise yourself, like me.
- I’m a celebrity, get me out of here really couldn’t have come at a better time! As weird as it is in a castle (and not sunny oz, as we all know it) it’s still one of the best parts of the day at the moment isn’t it? Love it!
- A weekly ‘full’ shower (i.e face mask, body scrub, hair mask, hair scrub etc.) is totally and completely a necessity now! Here I should point out that I do have more than one shower a week, just to clarify… but a ‘full’ shower really can be the nicest thing and albeit the perfect time at the moment to indulge in such things, as we have plenty of time on our hands right?! Also, yes you did read ‘hair scrub’ right! If you haven’t heard of these and love a good scalp massage, this ones for you… I picked up The Hair boss’ scalp scrub in Superdrug £7.99 and it’s lovely! You apply (this I can imagine may be a challenge if you have really thick hair, maybe just use a tad more!) to your scalp (before shampoo) once a week and scrub away. It’s delightful.
- Putting makeup on daily (even if you have no where to go!) really can make you feel 25,000x better! As nice as a makeup free/minimal makeup day is, a full face day is better. I’m just going to leave that right there…
- Red wine, is in fact quite nice. Who knew those words would come out of my mouth haha! Now I don’t want to encourage excessive drinking here… but a cheeky glass of Merlot is quite nice now and again (and mid week drinking is definitely okay at the moment and any time going forwards if you ask me!). Plus, it can also help with that ‘not being able to sleep before midnight’ scenario, a friend once told me…;)
- Having full on chats with your cat (or any pet for that matter) is okay. I think… I mean not that they reply or allow you to have a heated debate, but sometimes that’s for the best right? (*moment of realisation that this post is getting slightly weird*) but anyway, I can’t be the only one who does this right? Please tell me I’m not loosing my marbles…
- A weekly takeaway is also very okay (if you are lucky enough to be able to of course). Especially now we are all I suspect, very familiar with this ‘home workouts’ malarkey (not sure if I qualify personally completely to be entered into that statement, but oh well we try right?) it makes a weekly takeaway even more so acceptable if you ask me!
- Having a chat with one of your nearest and dearest can also help to brighten up your day and theirs (hopefully!). Especially those who may be on their own or whom are simply one of those people who you know will put a smile on your face for sure. It can honestly work wonders!
- Lastly, but by no means least… Slowing down in life, really isn’t a bad thing sometimes. (Now I now sound completely like I have changed my tune from the start of this post and turned all inspirational’y, my apologies) But really think about this- Would you have come this far in your life if this year hadn’t happened? I know we are all different but I can guarantee there’s something that you have either realised or something has changed for the better! I for one didn’t expect there to be this many points here (especially as this post started a little bit depressing and some of the points above are a little silly…) so you really might just surprise yourself! If not, then sorry if I got your hopes up there haha…
“As history has proven, shared tragedy often comes great understanding, innovation & integration. Here’s to a new normal!”Unknown source.
So there we have it… My list! Also an insight into my really, really exciting life at the moment, but hey we’re all in it together right? As I said above, there is no lie in the fact that this is all really rather rubbish still, but after experiencing rona affect a couple of people close to me (they’re okay thankfully, but my thoughts always go out to people who have been affected. Also a little shout out to you amazing NHS staff out there, you’re doing grand!) it is REAL and please don’t get complacent just yet! (I know I want to get back to work too, but hey, here we are haha). We will get there eventually, nothing ever lasts forever does it?
See you on the other side!
Just keep repeating to yourself… ‘Hands. Face. Space’ 😉 (if you don’t hear it enough on the news that is…).
Take care and most importantly stay safe,
Lots of love, Ella x